The R/V Fulmar was built by All American Marine of Bellingham, Washington based on the design for the highly successful R/V Shearwater working at the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary in Southern California. The R/V Fulmar is a Teknicraft hydrofoil-assisted, aluminum-hulled catamaran that was designed specifically to handle the wave states and conditions found in this region. The vessel will strengthen, streamline and connect efforts along the almost 400 miles of central and northern California coastline protected by these National Marine Sanctuaries.
The R/V Fulmar supports collaborative research, education and resource protection projects in the Central and Northern California National Marine Sanctuaries to inform and implement sanctuary management.
The R/V Fulmar’s primary function is research and monitoring and she is expected to be heavily utilized for up to 180 key missions including benthic monitoring along the remote Big Sur coastline, marine mammal and sea bird observations, tagging organisms, oceanographic monitoring, archeological/cultural research (primarily shipwrecks) and collecting baseline data for emerging management issues such as invasive species and marine reserves. The data collected during these cruises will help inform management decisions at all three sites and with state and federal partners. The R/V Fulmar will also serve as a platform for teacher workshops and other education and outreach initiatives.
- R/V Fulmar Capabilities and Specifications (76 KB PDF)
- R/V Fulmar General Arrangement Diagram (1.1 MB PDF)
- R/V Fulmar Overview One Pager (180 KB PDF)
Project and Cruise Planning
- 2017 Notice of Availability
- Vessel Project Manager: submit/view/update a project proposal, cruise plan or cruise report
- R/V Fulmar Cruise Calendar
- West Coast Regional Ops Calendar
Downloadable Forms and Documents
- Safety Awareness form (25 KB PDF)
- SIMoN InfoShare user guide (2.3 MB PDF)
- Directions to the Fulmar berth in Monterey (1.5 MB PDF)
Example Projects Using R/V Fulmar
- Partnership for Interdisciplinary Studies of Coastal Oceans (PISCO): subtidal component
- West Coast Observation Project (WCOS)
R/V Fulmar Accomplishment Reports
For more information about the R/V Fulmar contact Jean de Marignac, Field Operations Coordinator for the National Marine Sanctuaries West Coast Region (firstname.lastname@example.org).